1.28.2009

What's in a label?

As I revive and renew this badly-crippled, once left-for-dead blog, I have been struggling to find definition. Purpose. Direction. What am I doing here (on this site, not in a greater/more universal sense)? How could this one little corner of my existence best express a vision for life, justice, progress, spirituality?

Looking for guidance, I began to examine the labels which seem to suit me best. Theological conservative. Political progressive. Pop-culture enthusiast. I realized I couldn't point this blog exclusively in any of these directions as none of these labels ultimately define me. In fact, on an almost daily basis, a current event or hot-button issue exposes the points of tension between these labels, calling into question their very validity. What's in a label, anyway? Far too often, we label ourselves and others in an effort to set up clear-cut boundaries. Who's acceptable and who's not? Who's right and who's wrong? Who will I associate with and who will I cast aside?

My hope, then, for this blog is a casting off of labels or, at the very least, a refining of them. A chance to speak plainly and honestly. An opportunity to embrace the tension I see and submit that tension to the light shed by a greater Truth. The person of Truth. Because, ultimately, it is my hope to take any of the labels I could ever wear and make them subservient to the Gospel which has shaped and ultimately defined my life.

Part of me hopes that upon first reading, this blog will be too conservative for my progressive friends and too progressive for my conservative comrades. But, I hope to keep each side coming back so that, together, we can wrestle with greater questions and more expansive divides than liberal/conservative, etc. Those old debates are boring and lead us nowhere. Let's instead ask questions that get us closer to truer purposes and allow us to discuss models for moving forward.

One final thought...really, a promise to you, dear reader. This thing won't be quite as existential from here on out! By exploring the inherent tensions in tangible matters of theology, culture, politics, etc., I think we can all learn something (especially me)...

No comments: